Sunday, October 13, 2013

[HK Drink] Red Bean Shaved Ice 红豆冰

The famous Hong Kong drink, Red Bean Shaved Ice (红豆冰 hong dou bing), not only is popular in Asia, but it used to be my favorite drink in the summer when I was still in Hong Kong. Seriously, nothing can beat a cup of ice cold sweet drink in a hot and humid summer day. You can even add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to make it even more guilty and tempting, but it is always worth it. :P
I know this is a perfect drink for the summer, especially party time, but it is pretty heavy-duty (high calories), so I'd recommend having it once or twice in a while. I made this drink yesterday for my friend's surprise party. But before that, I made it 4 months ago in June I believe. The best thing about this drink is that you only need 3 ingredients to make, and it will only take you 10 minutes including cleaning up. How can you resist on that?

Let me introduce you to this SUPER QUICK AND EASY recipe.


[HK Drink] Red Bean Shaved Ice 红豆冰:

Makes 5 medium size cups
Cook time: 5 mins

Ingredients:
1 can of canned red bean paste
2 cans of evaporated milk
12 ice cubes, blended in blender or use human strength to crash it into shaved/fine pieces.

Method:
1. In the cups, equally add in about 2-3 spoons of the prepared (canned) red bean paste. Then fill up the cup to 90% full with evaporated milk. Lastly, add in the shaved ice to each cups. Place a spoon into each cup so your guests can mix and drink on their own.







A Sweet Promise:
  • Milk can be used to substitute evaporated milk. It will still taste good but evaporated milk makes the drink smells better. I used milk instead of evaporated milk in the pictures because I didn't have evaporated milk, and they still turned out great! My friends loved it :) I'd say go for evaporated milk in first choice, but if you don't have it, no worries. Milk works just as well.
  • Sugar is not added because the canned red bean paste is sweet enough. If you think it's not sweet enough, feel free to add sugar.
  • You can also make your own red bean paste. It is safer and healthier because you can control the amount of sweetness you desire, and you can choose the quality of the ingredients. I will post another recipe on this drink with a little twist and make my own paste. Please look forward to it~ ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment