Tuesday, September 24, 2013

(Adapted) Food Network's Butter Cookies


First of all, I have to say that this picture is one of the best ones I've ever taken. I've never taken a single photography lesson even though I'm extremely interested in it. I don't even know how I was able to take this picture. I guess that's what called "taking the picture at the right place and the right moment", which basically means, I got luck! 

I made these cookies a while ago, but I still remarkably remember how good they were. I added a little "twist" to the butter cookies recipe I got. Surprisingly, the cookies turned out to become the perfect balance between crunchy and soft. They are a little bit crunchy outside just like the other butter cookies, but inside is relatively soft (外脆內軟)~ My mom likes these cookies more than those I made before (without the twist) because before they were just crunchy. <-- sorry, i have to apologize that I never know how to write descriptive sentences, but the texture definitely worth giving a try!

Butter Cookies (牛油曲奇餅):
Prep time~20 mins
Inactive time~2.5 hours
Cooking time~10 mins
Serves~50 cookies
Level - easy

Ingredients:
  • 3 1/2 cups All purpose flour
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 3 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (softened)
  • 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (you can omit this if you don't have it)
  • 1 Tbsp half-half


Methods:

  1. Sift the flour into a bowl, then add salt (dry ingredients)
  2. In another large mixing bowl, cream the softened butter until light and creamy. Refer to image above.
  3. While beating, add sugar and add one egg at a time. Then add vanilla extract and cinnamon. Reduce the speed to low, gradually add the flour+salt (don't pour all at once!) into the batter. Mix until batter looks smooth. Once the dry ingredients are all in, there should be a dough.
  4. *Twist: once the dough has formed, add the half-half into the large mixing bowl and mix in low speed until they combine together. Make sure the dough is not too soggy. If it appears to be too soggy, don't panic, just add about 1/4 teaspoon flour at a time and see how it goes.
  5. Once the dough return normal (not too soggy, not too dry), take a piece of plastic wrap and place the dough on top of it. Put the dough into the fridge (not freezer) to chill for 2 hrs and 30 mins.
  6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  7. Roll out the dough and use a cookie cutter to cut into pieces. *If you don't have a cookie cutter, roll the dough into strip and cut out into pieces (like cutting a cucumber ^_^)
  8. Place them on a baking sheet and line up each one for about 1" apart.
  9. Bake for 8 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom of the cookies. Take cookies out and let them cool.
  10. ENJOY! Serve yourself a cup of milk or hot chocolate or coffee or even milk tea along with the wonderful butter cookies~

No comments:

Post a Comment